Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “citizen charter”
8) Though Citizen’s charters have been formulated by many public service delivery organizations, there is no corresponding improvement in the level of citizens’ satisfaction and quality of services being provided. Analyse.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the purpose of citizen charters and thereafter, examine why despite the formulation of citizen charters corresponding improvement in service delivery by has not happened. Finally, we need to provide suggestions for improvement.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what citizen charters are.
- Discuss the reasons why despite many public organizations coming out with their charters consequent improvement in public service delivery has not happened. Discuss the findings of 2nd ARC regarding the same
- Lack of training and awareness at cutting edge level
- Top driven approach and not bottom up approach
- standards/time norms of services mentioned in Citizens’ Charter were either too lax or too tight and were, therefore, unrealistic and created an unfavourable impression on the clients of the Charter. Etc
- Give suggestions for improvement
- Internal restructuring should precede charter formulation
- No one size fits all charter
- Involve customers in the creation of guarantees, standards, redress policies, complaint systems, and customer service agreements
- Effective redressal mechanism etc
Conclusion – Summarize your arguments and discuss the way forward.