- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- India and its neighbourhood- relations.
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
National Register of Citizens (NRC)
What to study?
- For Prelims: Key features of NRC and related key facts.
- For Mains: Issues associated and ways to address them.
Context: The Supreme Court on December 12, 2018 extended the deadline for the submission of claims and objections by individuals excluded from the first draft of the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) to December 31, 2018.
The Assam government released the final draft of NRC on July 30, 2018. The list incorporates names of 2.89 crore people out of 3.29 crore applicants. The names of 40.07 lakh people have been left out.
The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is a list that contains names of Indian citizens of Assam. It was last prepared after Census in 1951. Assam, which had faced an influx of people from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only state having an NRC.
The Assam government on July 30, 2018 released the second and final draft of the state’s National Register of Citizens (NRC). The draft includes the names of Indian citizens who have been residing in Assam before March 25, 1971.
Sources: the hindu.