- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
UN Panel of Auditors
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: UN Panel of Auditors- composition, objectives, functions and significance.
Context: Comptroller and Auditor General Rajiv Mehrishi has become the Vice-Chair of the UN Panel of Auditors.
About UN Panel of Auditors:
The United Nations Panel of Auditors consists of External Auditors of the United Nations and its agencies.
- The United Nations General Assembly in 1959 established the Panel of External Auditors, comprising the individual external auditors of the United Nations system, who are also Heads of Supreme Audit Institutions.
- Presently, the panel consists of 11 countries — India, Germany, Chile, Canada, France, Italy, Philippines, Ghana, Indonesia, Switzerland and United Kingdom. Currently, the panel is chaired by the Comptroller and Auditor General of the UK.
Functions of the Panel of External Auditors:
- Panel Members share experiences and methodologies so as to ensure uniformity of external audit practices throughout the United Nations system.
- Panel Members provide independent assurance to Member States and other stakeholders in relation to the proper use of the Organizations’ resources as well as their economic, efficient and effective use.
- They also play a significant role in assisting the Organizations to improve their operations and their internal control activities.
- The findings and recommendations of Panel Members are taken seriously, and the status of recommendations is closely monitored to ensure timely and effective implementation.
Sources: the hindu.