Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “Issues related to poverty and hunger”
2) Analyse the reasons for rising hunger and discuss how this trend can be reversed to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal 2 of Zero Hunger?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the various reasons that cause hunger as well as hidden hunger and the steps that are necessary to reverse hunger.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that hunger and hidden hunger is still one of the major social deprivation that the world grapples with. Give statistics.
- Explain the reasons why hunger persists
- Rising inequalities leading to extreme forms of poverty.
- Lack of investment in agriculture – Too many developing countries lack the roads, warehouses and irrigation systems that would help them overcome hunger.
- Climate and weather – Natural disasters such as floods, tropical storms and long periods of drought are on the increase — with calamitous consequences for the hungry poor in developing countries.
War and displacement – Across the globe, conflicts consistently disrupt farming and food production.
- Unstable markets – Rising food prices make it difficult for the poorest people to get nutritious food consistently – which is exactly what they need to do.
- Food wastage – One third of all food produced (1.3 billion tons) is never consumed. This food wastage represents a missed opportunity to improve global food security in a world where 1 in 8 is hungry.
- Discuss ways to reverse the problem
- Increase food production through better agricultural technologies.
- Designing better public distribution systems.
- Fortification of foods.
- Addressing poverty through better socio economic policies. Etc
Conclusion – Give your view on how to tackle the problem and discuss way forward.