- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Cabinet approves Agriculture Export Policy, 2018
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister has approved the Agriculture Export Policy, 2018.
The Cabinet has also approved the proposal for establishment of Monitoring Framework at Centre with Commerce as the nodal Department with representation from various line Ministries/Departments and Agencies and representatives of concerned State Governments, to oversee the implementation of Agriculture Export Policy.
Vision of the Agriculture Export Policy:
Harness export potential of Indian agriculture, through suitable policy instruments, to make India global power in agriculture and raise farmers’ income.
- To double agricultural exports from present US$ 30+ Billion to US$ 60+ Billion by 2022 and reach US$ 100 Billion in the next few years thereafter, with a stable trade policy regime.
- To diversify our export basket, destinations and boost high value and value added agricultural exports including focus on perishables.
- To promote novel, indigenous, organic, ethnic, traditional and non-traditional Agri products exports.
- To provide an institutional mechanism for pursing market access, tackling barriers and deal with sanitary and phyto-sanitary issues.
- To strive to double India’s share in world agri exports by integrating with global value chain at the earliest.
- Enable farmers to get benefit of export opportunities in overseas market.
The Government has come out with a policy to double farmers’ income by 2022.
Exports of agricultural products would play a pivotal role in achieving this goal.
Mains Question: Discuss how the recently released agriculture export policy is a welcome step in the direction of doubling farmers’ income by 2022.