- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
- Indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
- Awareness in space.
ExseedSAT 1, India’s 1st private satellite
What to study?
- For Prelims: About ExeedSAT 1, significance of Falcon 9 recent launch.
- For Mains: Applications and significance of ExseedSAT 1, Private participation in India’s space program- challenges and potential.
Context: With the launch of ExseedSAT 1, Exseed Space has become the first Indian privately-funded startup to successfully send a satellite into space.
- ExseedSAT 1 was launched into space by Space X along with 63 other satellites from 17 countries.
About ExseedSAT 1 and its applications:
- The mini communication satellite weighing just a kg with double the size of a Rubik’s cube (10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm) is made up of aluminium alloy.
- The satellite looks to serve the amateur radio community.
- The satellite with a lifespan of five years will allow people to receive signals on 145.9 Mhz frequency with the help of a TV tuner.
- The satellite would provide a big boost to private radio operators and help in coordinating messages among them and help the country in time of disaster.
Significance of recent Falcon 9 launch:
With this Falcon 9 launch, SpaceX broke two records. This was the US private space agency’s 19th launch of the year topping its previous annual record of 18, which was set last year. Second, the Falcon 9 rocket managed to deliver 64 satellites into orbit breaking the US record (India holds the world record for launching 104 satellites in one go on February 15, 2017).
Sources: the hindu.