- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora-their structure, mandate.
Indian Pavillion at COP-24.
The Union Environment Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan participated in the inauguration of Indian Pavilion at the 24th meeting of Conference of Parties (COP-24) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) held at Katowice, Poland.
Theme of India Pavilion – “One World One Sun One Grid”.
- The Ministry has launched a nationwide campaign in preserving and protecting the environment called the Green Good Deeds Movement.
- This campaign was prepared to inspire, encourage and involve each and every individual of the society to realize people’s participation in accomplishing the goals.
- India’s leadership in global climate action has been recognized and Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been bestowed with “Champion of Earth Award” this year by the United Nations in promoting International Solar Alliance and resolve to make India plastic free by 2022.
What is the ‘Champions of the Earth award’?
- It was launched in 2005.
- “Champions of the Earth”, the UN’s highest environmental honour, celebrates outstanding figures from the public and private sectors and from civil society whose actions have had a transformative positive impact on the environment.
- In 2018, the award was received by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron for their leadership in promotion of solar energy.
What is COP 24?
COP24 is the informal name for the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
The COP takes decisions to ensure effective implementation of the provisions of the Convention and regularly reviews the implementation of these provisions.
Aim of the UNFCCC:
- To prevent ‘dangerous’ human interference with the climate system.