- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
Climate Vulnerable Forum
What to study?
- Static Part: About the Forum and its key objectives.
- Dynamic and Current: Significance of the forum and why do we need to worry about climate vulnerability?
Context: Climate Vulnerable Forum meeting is being held in Marshall Islands. This is the first entirely online Heads of Government level intergovernmental meeting.
- Leaders at the Climate Vulnerable Forum have called on world’s governments to raise the ambition of their climate targets by 2020 in order to save vulnerable nations threatened by warming beyond 1.5 degrees Celsius.
What is Climate Vulnerable Forum?
The Climate Vulnerable Forum is an international cooperation group of developing countries tackling global climate change.
- The CVF was founded by the Maldives government before the 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, which sought to increase awareness of countries considered vulnerable.
- United Nations agencies collaborate in implementing activities linked to the CVF with the UNDP, the lead organization supporting the forum’s work.
- The CVF was formed to increase the accountability of industrialized nations for the consequences of global climate change.
- Afghanistan, Nepal and Bhutan are its members, whereas India is one of the observer states.