- Disaster and disaster management.
MoS (Home) Shri Kiren Rijiju inaugurates 14th Formation Day of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
Theme of the Year: “Early Warning for Disasters”
- Early warning is a major element of disaster risk reduction and can minimize the loss of lives and economic impacts.
- Timely early warning is key to a structured and efficient response.
Measures to be taken:
- Early warning systems need to involve the communities at risk.
- Generate public awareness.
- Effectively disseminate warnings, and
- Ensure there is a constant state of preparedness.
On 23 December 2005, the Government of India enacted the Disaster Management Act, which led to the creation of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), headed by the Prime Minister, and State Disaster Management Authorities (SDMAs) headed by respective Chief Ministers, to spearhead and implement a holistic and integrated approach to Disaster Management in India.
Parent department: Ministry of Home Affairs