Topic -Part of static series under the heading – “Important personalities of freedom struggle”
1) Highlight the differences in the approach of Subhash Chandra Bose and Mahatma Gandhi in the struggle for freedom.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question is quite straightforward in its demand. It expects us to elaborate on the difference in approaches of Gandhi and bose with respect to the national movement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the macro difference in their political approach – Subhash chandra bose was a supporter of Gandhiji during initial days, the later part of 1930s witnessed a radicalisation of his thought. He was not satisfied with Gandhiji’s strategies and unhappy with the lack of momentum in independence movement.
- Discuss their difference in thinking over issues such as
- Moderate vs extremist
- Complete independence vs independence in phases
- Bose was more international in his outlook and approached Russia , Germany and japan while Gandhiji relied on indegineous forces like swadeshi and satyagraha.
- Bose adopted violent means and led Indian National Army while Gandhiji relied on non violent means.For gandhiji it was “means justify the end” for Bose it was” end justifies the means. Etc
Conclusions – Highlight that both made significant contribution to freedom struggle in their own ways.