Topic – Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
7) Discuss the key challenges to India’s counterterrorism efforts and also suggest solutions?(250 words)
Why this question
26 Nov 2018 marks a decade of Mumbai terror attacks and forces us to rethink about the progress we have made in stepping up our counterterrorism efforts. Hence this question.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the major challenges to India’s counterterrorism efforts, explain how we are countering such challenges and discuss the way forward.
Discuss – Here your discussion should bring out the key challenges, explain how we are dealing with them and thereafter suggest steps for the future.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the rising challenge of terrorism and innovative ways used by terrorists which forces law agencies to upgrade themselves.
- Explain about the major challenges in India’s counterterrorism efforts
- terrorism is handled by different state police systems with no legal role by the central government under Schedule 7 of our Constitution
- Lack of citizen participation and private sector participation in beefing up the security apparatus
- absence of “bottom up” security architecture
- Lack of coordination between agencies etc
- Discuss the ways in which we are beefing up our counterterrorism efforts by focussing on intelligence – creation of a new National Investigation Agency, Multi Agency Centers (MAC) collate intelligence information from different sources and disseminate them, stringent acts such as UAPA etc. Analyze how effective these reforms have been.
- Suggest reforms – Capacities of the state police forces should be increased, cyber security and intelligence gathering and dissemination requires improvement (NATGRID) etx
Conclusion – Emphasize on the need for beefing up our counterterrorism efforts and end with way forward.