- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
SSB to patrol Dudhwa tiger reserve
What to study?
- Static Part: About SSB, Dudhwa tiger reserve and its location.
- Dynamic and Current Part: Why SSB was roped in for its management, challenges being faced and what are the measures necessary?
Context: Dudhwa Tiger Reserve and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) have joined hands to provide security to Dudhwa forests and its rich wildlife.
How will it be done?
- It has been agreed that joint long route patrolling comprising SSB, Special Tiger Protection Force (STPF) and Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) field staff would be held at regular intervals.
- Stress will be laid on intelligence and information sharing among various security agencies about activities of wildlife and forest criminals.
- A mechanism to establish SSB border outpost level communication and information sharing will be developed to strengthen the safety of Dudhwa.
Dudhwa Tiger Reserve:
- It is protected area in Uttar Pradesh that stretches mainly across the Lakhimpur Kheri and Bahraich districts.
- It comprises Dudhwa National Park, Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary and Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary.
- It shares north-eastern boundary with Nepal, which is defined to large extent by Mohana River.
- The area is vast Terai alluvial floodplain traversed by numerous rivers and streams flowing in south-easterly direction.
- Faunal diversity: Apart from tigers, it is also home to swamp deer, sambar deer, barking deer, spotted deer, hog deer, Indian rhinoceros, sloth bear, ratel, jackal, civets, jungle cat, fishing cat, etc.
Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB):
- It is Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) entrusted with guarding country’s border with Nepal and Bhutan.
- It was established in 1963 and functions under administrative control of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). Its headquarters are in New Delhi.
- It has specialist jurisdictions for national border patrol, security, and integrity.
Sources: the hindu.