Topic – environmental pollution and degradation.
7) The problem of air pollution can not be tackled by judiciary alone. Comment.(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights that courts have taken a lead in matters related to pollution and examines the effectiveness of judicial intervention. At a time when pollution has become a huge issue, and courts are taking a lead in ensuring that we enjoy the right to live in a safe environment, we need to critically analyze the role of courts.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the seriousness of the problem of air pollution and explain that courts have taken a lead in taking steps to ensure that the problem is contained. Give examples of the measures taken by the court and explain the impact of judgements of the court. Discuss the role of executive and legislature in tackling this problem. Finally, give a fair and balanced view on whether judicial intervention to tackle pollution would suffice and suggestion about what must be done.
Comment – When you are asked to comment, you have to pick main points and give your ‘opinion’ on them based on evidences or arguments stemming from your wide reading. Your opinion may be for or against, but you must back your argument with evidences.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that air pollution has become a big issue.
- Discuss the role played by judiciary in tackling the problem of pollution. Explain the role of NGT and Supreme court in this regard. Give examples of cracker ban in Delhi and several judgments of NGT through which they have tried to tackle the problem of air pollution
- Examine the effective of those measures as discussed in the article. Also, analyze the role of NGT and issues faced by NGT in tackling air pollution
- Discuss the lack of initiative shown by executive and legislature and why their support is crucial
- Give suggestions as to what needs to be done to tackle air pollution
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss the way forward.