PIB+BACKGROUND: Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF)
- November 23, 2018
- Posted by: insights ias
- Category: INSIGHTS
- Blue Revolution aims at doubling the income of farmers. In the last four & half years, Rs. 1915.33 crore has been released for its implementation.
(Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare)
Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare at his inaugural address on Fifth World Fisheries Day, said that under the Blue Revolution scheme, 29,128 hectares has been developed for aquaculture and fishermen are being benefitted. And 7441 traditional boats have been modernized and converted into motorized boats.
The Blue Revolution mission aims at doubling the income of farmers and in the last four & half years, Rs. 1915.33 crore has been released for the implementation of Blue Revolution Schemes.
The government has approved Rs. 7522 crore Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF).
Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF):
- It creates employment opportunities to over 9.40 lakhs fishers/fishermen/ fisher folks and other entrepreneurs in fishing and allied activities.
- It attracts private investment in creation and management of fisheries infrastructure facilities.
- It helps in the creation of fisheries infrastructure facilities both in marine and inland fisheries sectors, which would boast fish production and help achieve target of Rs. 15 million tonne by 2020 under Blue revolution.
- It aims to achieve a sustainable growth of 8% to 9% in a move to augment fish production to the level of about 20 million tonnes by 2022-23.
World Fisheries Day:
It is celebrated to commemorate the event of meeting of the working fishermen and women representing ‘World Forum of Fish Harvesters & Fish Workers’ from 18 countries in New Delhi on November 21, 1997.
World Fisheries Forum (WFF):
It was established to advocate a global mandate of sustainable fishing practices and policies.
World Forum of Fish Harvesters & Fish Workers (WFF):
It is an international organization that brings together small scale fisher organization for the establishment and upholding of fundamental human rights, social justice and culture of artisanal/small scale fish harvesters and fish workers, affirming the sea as source of all life and committing themselves to sustain fisheries and aquatic resources for the present and future generations to protect their livelihoods.