Topic – Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India, Social empowerment
1) Discuss the threats and challenges faced by the tribes such as Sentinelese in India and how they need to be protected?(250 words)
Why this question
An American national was killed allegedly by the Sentinelese tribe in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands after he illegally entered the protected zone on November 16. This brings into question who are sentinelese and the threats and challenges faced overall by such tribes.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first explain who the Sentinelese are. Next we need to bring out the reasons why they are vulnerable, discuss the steps taken by the government to ensure their protection. Thereafter, we need to bring out the lacunae in the government policies and suggest steps which needs to be taken.
Discuss – Here in your discussion you need to bring out the reasons such tribes are vulnerable and then explain the steps that have been taken and the lacunae therein for their protection.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight why this question is in news
- Explain who are the Sentinelese – The Sentinelese are a negrito tribe who live on the North Sentinel Island of the Andamans. The inhabitants are connected to the Jarawa on the basis of physical, as well as linguistic similarities. Their numbers are believed to be less than 150 and as low as 40
- Explain the reasons why they are vulnerable
- they have made little to no advancement in the over 60,000 years and still live very primitive lives, surviving mainly on fish and coconuts
- vulnerable to germs since they have not had contact with the outside world
- Efforts to reach out to them has failed
- Discuss the measures in place for their protection – The Govt. of India issued the Andaman and Nicobar Islands (Protection of Aboriginal Tribes) Regulation, 1956 to declare the traditional areas occupied by the tribes as reserves. It prohibited entry of all persons except those with authorisation. Photographing or filming the tribe members is also an offence. The rules were amended later to enhance penalties.
- Explain however that off late restricted area permits were relaxed for some islands. In a major step earlier this year, the Indian government excluded this island and 28 others in the Union Territory from the Restricted Area Permit or RAP regime till 2022. The lifting of RAP means foreigners can go to the island without permission from the government
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced opinion on the steps that government should take to tackle this situation.