Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “economics of animal-rearing”
4) Livestock sector in India has an important role to play in enhancing the level of inclusive growth in the country. Discuss.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the immense role that livestock sector can play in the economic growth in India, and in particular in achieving inclusive growth. We also need to highlight the challenges and the steps that have been taken to overcome them. In conclusion we need to give our opinion on whether focussing on livestock sector can help achieve inclusive growth.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the problem of lack of inclusive growth and suggest that livestock sector might have a solution.
- Discuss the economic advantages of livestock sector
- Plays an important role in Indian economy, about 2.5-3 cr people depend on it for food
- Provides employment
- Contributes to income or small farm households etc
- Discuss specifically with explanations as to how it can aid in inclusive growth
- Distribution of livestock is more equitable than that of land
- Livestock sector contributes a low to income or small farm households
- More than three-fourth of the labour demand in livestock production is met by women. The share of women employment in livestock sector is around 90% in Punjab and Haryana where dairying is a prominent activity and animals are stallfed
- Discuss the challenges that lie ahead and the steps taken by government to address those challenges and take the sector forward
Conclusion – Give your view on whether this sector has the potential to bring inclusive growth.