Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions and responsibilities of
various Constitutional Bodies”
3) Election commission of India had played a stellar role in ensuring free and fair elections in India.
Analyse the evolution of the Election Commission of India and its effectiveness in ensuring inclusiveness, rule of law, efficiency, and accountability of the election process.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the evolution of ECI where we have to explain how the nature of challenges for ECI has varied over the ages and how ECI has responded to these challenges. In doing so, we have to examine the mechanisms through ECI has ensured rule of law in election process along with criticism of its role.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief introduction about ECI – its constitutional statis, role etc.
- First discuss how the role of ECI has evolved over the ages
- Phase 1 (1950-1967) when ECI had to deal with challenges such as illiteracy, creating awareness etc
- Phase 2( 1967-1975) when ECI had to deal with challenges such as aggressive single party system, electoral offences such as booth capturing etc
- Phase 3 (1977-1990) where the challenges were money power in elections
- Phase 4 (1990-2002) – photo id cards, model code of conduct, EVMs
- Phase 5 (2002 – current) VVPATs, criminalization of politics etc
- Analyze how ECI through its functioning and structure has maintained its independence and ensured free and fair elections, ensured implementation of MCC to ensure rule of law elections etc
- Discuss criticism of ECI’s role – reforms not implemented, questions over its independence in recent times etc
Conclusion – Suggest reforms for ECI and give your view on ECI’s effectiveness and fairness.