Topic – Indian Polity : Issues
4) Reservation in promotion is a contentious matter for which the absolutist position of states is to blame. Critically examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The article traces the judicial history of the issue of reservation in promotions and discusses how the states have been complicit in fanning the controversy by taking absolutist stands. The question will help you prepare the issue of reservation in promotions and th court verdict in depth.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out what the SC verdict in Jarnail Singh case was. Thereafter, we need to bring out how the states have, in the past, taken absolutist stands to nullify court judgement related to this. We also need to explain why it was important for states to do. Finally, we need to provide a fair and balanced stand as to whether absolutist stands taken by the state in this matter would lead to issues and discuss way forward.
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any.When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight why reservation in promotions is in news. give a brief explanation about reservation in promotions.
- Discuss the court verdict in Jarnail Singh case and whether and how the position of the court has changed from M Nagraj case.
- Evaluate the role of states in implementing the judgments of SC in these cases and how the states have tried to nullify the effect of these judgments by making amendments. Also discuss the impact of such actions of states
- Discuss why is it important for the states to ensure that the weaker section is well represented in higher jobs, matter of social equity etc.
- Give your view on what should the ideal response of state should be to the current scenario judgement
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced view and discuss way forward.