Topic– Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
2) CBI has been called a caged parrot by none other than the SC. In recent days, we have seen the kind of controversies related to independence if CBI. Explain the measures in place, if any, to ensure independence of CBI and discuss the nature of institutional reforms required by CBI?(250 words)
Why this question
CBI has been in the eye of a storm the past few days which have raised serious questions over the functioning of CBI. This question would enable you to explain the controversy in greater detail and also enable you to prepare the kind of institutional reforms required in CBI.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the details of the controversy in CBI and discuss the systems and processes put in place in terms of appointments to CBI to ensure that it maintains its independence. Post discussing that, we need to bring out the nature of institutional reforms further required to insulate CBI from all political interference.
Discuss – here, your discussion should bring out the form, nature and content of the institutional reforms required in CBI to insulate it from political interference.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the controversy in CBI in brief which has brought the issue in news.
- First, highlight the meaning of caged parrot and why is CBI called so
- Discuss the safeguards brought in the appointment process – directions laid out in Vineet Narain case, and the changes brought in by Lokpal act
- Discuss why despite these measures CBI has not been able to perform without external interference
- Discuss the nature of institutional reforms required in CBI – recommendations of LP Singh committee, 2nd ARC Committee, other reforms eg. 24th report also expressed itself in favour of CBI taking suo motu cognisance of crimes, and said that this would in no way affect the essentials of our federal structure. It is high time that the CBI is vested with the required legal mandate and is given pan-India jurisdiction. It must have inherent powers to investigate corruption cases against officers of All India Services irrespective of the assignments they are holding or the state they are serving in
Conclusion – Discuss the importance of maintaining institutional integrity in CBI and discuss way forward.