Topic – Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
5) The policy suggestions in National Digital communications Policy are important for the telecommunications sector and for Digital India. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the changes suggested by National Digital Communications Policy and the impact it would have on telecommunications sector and Digital India. The policy would have wide ramifications on the telecom sector considering the fact that the issues under discussion in the policy are all contemporary issues being faced by the telecom sector. Hence this question would help in preparing the issues faced by the sector and understanding how the policy tackles it.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the changes suggested by the policy and discuss how it impacts telecommunications sector and Digital India. Thereafter, we need to examine the specific issue being faced by the telecom sector and how the policy resolves them and helps in achieving aims and objectives under Digital India. Finally, we need to provide a balanced opinion on the policy and discuss way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that National Digital Communications Policy is in public domain after months of wide-ranging as well as intensive consultations with all the stakeholders, and also after getting the recommendations of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) in the matter.
- Discuss the changes suggested by NDCP such as
- Revenue maximization is not a priority and infrastructure creation is
- The need for consistency in policy
- Allowing benefits of convergence in areas such as IP-PSTN switching
- Incentivise green energy
- Fine tuning policy related to spectrum allocation
- Discuss the impact of such policies and the reasons why they are introduced. Here you should bring out the issues faced by telecommunications sector in India and how the policy addresses the issue
- Comment on how the policies would help in case of Digital India
Conclusion – Give your view on the policy and discuss way forward.