Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “salient features of Indian society and diversity”
5) There is an emerging trend where we are witnessing many dominant and Landholding castes asking for backward reservation. Examine.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question basically talks about the phenomenon of dominant castes asking for reservations such as the Jats, Marathas, Gujjars etc. We need to discuss the reasons why this is so and whether giving them reservations is going to solve whatever issues they are facing. We need to conclude with a way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that there is a growing trend of dominant castes asking for reservations and give some examples such as Patels in Gujarat, Jats in Haryana, Marathis in Maharashtra and Kapus in Andhra Pradesh.
- Discuss the reasons why they are asking for reservations
- Agricultural distress
- Crippled urban economy leading to lesser number of jobs availability
- Successful quota system
- Political support as they are the “dominant caste” as defined by MN Srinivas
- Examine whether giving them reservations would solve the issue
- Mere inclusion in OBC list will not address structural deficiencies in the caste system and the societal hold it enjoys. This will lead to demand for reservation by more castes.
- Already we are seeing in several areas that even within reservation, there is a stiff competition
- Discuss the way forward
- Rethinking the idea of reservation
- Fulfill the real purpose of reservation which was substantive equality
Conclusion – It is high time that we rethink the idea of reservation. The revised idea of reservation should ideally exclude creamy layer, develop capabilities of deprived section.