Topic: Part of static series under the heading – “Livestock”
6) Economics of animal rearing will play a major role of the dream of doubling farmer’s income is to be achieved. Examine, in this context, the steps taken by the government in promoting animal rearing and suggest ways to promote this sector?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points
- How economic of animal rearing might lead to doubling cof income
- Steps taken by government for promoting livestock
- Ways to promote this sector
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that India has the largest stock of dairy animals and is the world’s largest producer of milk.
- Give reasons how it might lead to doubling of income for farmers
- Of late growth rate of livestock farming has been more than that of food crops.
- Livestock is more resilient during droughts and is not affected by monsoon variability.
- Meat and dairy products are less fluctuating as compared to food crops. Government does not need to provide Minimum Support price for animal products.
- Demand for animal products has more elasticity with income.
Distribution of ownership or livestock is more egalitarian as compared to land ownership, which is highly skewed.
- Discuss the steps taken by the government such as National Dairy Plan Phase I, National Program for bovine breeding and dairy development and Dairy Entrepreneurship development scheme etc
- Give suggestions on how to promote this sector