Topic– Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
5) Discuss the role biotechnology played in Green Revolution? Do you think the answer to India’s hunger problem lies in biotechnology?(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the role genetic modification played in developing new varieties of seeds which ushered in the era of green revolution in the country. The article also examines the role biotechnology can play in addressing the hunger problem of India. Considering the fact that India has fallen in HDI table and GHI index, hunger has had a huge role to play. Hence this question is important for GS2 and GS3
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the ways and means in which biotechnology helped in Green revolution in India. Thereafter we need to bring out the problem of hunger and hidden hunger in India. Next, our focus needs to be on explaining the role biotechnology can play in addressing the hunger problem. Not to mention, we also need to bring out the risks involved. In conclusion, we need to mention the way forward.
Discuss – Here in your discussion, you need to bring out how genetically modified seeds were introduced and the impact they had on green revolution.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what green revolution is and that genetically modified crops were introduced first in India during green revolution.
- Discuss the GM seeds which were used in Green Revolution and the advantages they offered such as higher yield etc
- Discuss the plight of hunger and hidden hunger. Highlight India’s abysmal record in dealing with these issues
- Discuss how biotechnology can help – enhance productivity, fortified food items such as golden rice etc can tackle the nutrient and micronutrients deficiency etc
- Discuss the issues with usage of GM crops.
Conclusion – Give your fair and balanced view on whether GM can solve India’s hunger problem and discuss the way forward.