Topic- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
4) Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has made projections for how the rise in global average temperatures can be restricted within 1.5°C of pre-industrial times. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question
IPCC has recently submitted its report on climate change and it has forwarded its findings/ estimates as to how the global temperatures can be restricted within 1.5 degree celsius of the pre-industrial times. It is therefore important to discuss the issue, given the immeasurable effect climate change will have on life on earth.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the recent IPCC findings and how it suggests to restrict the global temperatures within 1.5 degrees celsius of the pre-industrial times.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- write a few introductory lines about the recent IPCC report and the impending climate change crisis.
Discuss about the report in detail and explain how has suggested to restrict the global temperatures. E.g
Discuss the four pathways forwarded by the IPCC to restrict global temperatures within 1.5 degree celsius. Mention that in each pathway, the global average temperature is projected to overshoot the 1.5°C target by some amount before returning to that level by the end of this century. Each looks at a different scenario of the global energy demand;
- P1: A scenario in which social, business, and technological innovations result in lower energy demand up to 2050 while living standards rise, especially in the global South.
- P2: A scenario with a broad focus on sustainability including energy intensity, human development, economic convergence and international cooperation, as well as shifts towards sustainable and healthy consumption patterns, low-carbon technology innovation, and well-managed land systems with limited societal acceptability for BECCS.
- P3: A middle-of-the-road scenario in which societal as well as technological development follows historical patterns.
- Similarly discuss the 4th pathway.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.