Topic- Conservation, environmental degradation
6) The time to act to offset the impact of climate change is now. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the IPCC report on climate change making us aware of the situation related to climate and how we have a very short window to keep temperature rise within 1.5 degree C. The article highlights the problems that might arise if temperature continues to rise moving beyond 1.5 deg C putting into effect the hothouse earth scenario which is going to be difficult to deal with. Examining the options available to us in light of the new report and brainstorming over way forward is the focus of this question.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first discuss the findings of the IPCC report and highlight the risk that faces is. Thereafter, we need to bring out the impact that unprecedented rise in temperature will have on weather, natural disasters etc. We need to discuss ways through which this situation can be addressed and suggest way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has issued a special report on the impact of global warming of 1.5C.
- Discuss the outline of the main findings of the report – discusses the advantages of limiting Temperature rise to 1.5 deg rather than 2 deg to ensure the safety of Earth.
- Discuss the impacts if temperature crosses that threshold – impact on corals, tourism, mangroves, glaciers etc
- Discuss the steps taken so far to keep Temperature rise in check such as the Paris Agreement and highlight that too little has been done so far. Mention that the window to act is very little.
- Suggest steps that can be taken to ensure that temperature rise limits itself to the 1.5 degree limit such as changes to our food habits, changes in energy systems etc
Conclusion – Emphasize on the severity of the problem and discuss way forward.