Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “Wildlife and conservation sites”
2) What are the conservation challenges faced by wildlife sanctuaries and national parks in India? Suggest solutions to address these challenges.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss in detail the challenges faced by the conservation sites in the country and the ways in which such challenges could be addressed.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that The Union Government has established a country-wide protected area network for protection of these species and their habitats of threatened flora and fauna under Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
The network includes 730 Protected Areas including 103 National Parks, 535 Wildlife Sanctuaries, 26 Community Reserves and 66 Conservation Reserves in different bio-geographic regions.
- Discuss the issues such as
- Road/Railway lines inside protected areas
- Uncontrolled passage of heavy vehicles during night-time.
- Man-animal conflicts
- Threat from invasive species
- Habitat loss
- Poor infrastructure etc
- Discuss the potential solutions to aforementioned issues such as – involving local communities in decision making, building infrastructure, anti poaching camps etc
Conclusion – Discuss the importance of preserving national parks and sanctuaries and the way forward for the same.