Topic– Role of women and women’s organization
2) Examine the role of women in agriculture? Do you think having more effective women in agriculture impacts nutritional security?(250 words)
Why this question
Women have a very important role to play in agriculture of the country. The article discusses the status of women in agriculture and highlights how women in agriculture would help in attaining nutritional security. The topic would help us in preparing women related section of GS1 sociology section .
Key demand of the question
The question has two main components that require answering. Firstly, we have to bring out in detail the role of women in agriculture in India – status quo, strengths, weaknesses etc. Next, we need to evaluate whether women in agriculture has a positive impact on nutritional security.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that the women is the backbone of agricultural workforce and are a vital part of Indian economy. Woman plays a vital role, because agriculture is largely a household enterprise
- Give the status quo of women in agriculture – Agriculture in India is significantly dependent on women. Women make up about 33% of cultivators and about 47% of agricultural labourers in rural India. Overall, the percentage of rural women who depend on agriculture for their livelihood is as high as 84%. But systemic barriers to finance, inputs, extension services and land rights have limited their potential and recognition as the mainstay of our agrarian ecosystem. Juxtapose this with the findings of the National Family Health Survey 2015-16 which state that 26.7% of rural women are underweight and 54.2% anaemic.
- Assess the concerns/challenges for women in agriculture – gender wage gap, males are usually the targeted beneficiaries of government’s largesse etc
- Discuss the steps taken by government to improve the status of women in India
- Next, we need to bring out the linkage between greater women participation in agriculture and nutritional security – women ensure that food crops are grown in place of cash crops etc
Conclusion – Assess the way forward for women in agriculture such as skill empowerment for women, creation of SHGs etc