Topic: India and its bilateral relations
2) Discuss how Nepal China Transit Agreement would impact relations with India?(250 words)
Why this question
Nepal has recently signed the trade and transit agreement with China. Post the blockade in 2016 which had immense impact on socio economic and political life in Nepal , Nepal has been looking to diversify its transit routes. The China factor in India Nepal relations always needles and hence this question would enable us to understand the details of the transit agreement and its impact on bilateral relations.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points :
- Details of the agreement
- How far this agreement would impact India’s place in Nepal’s transit requirement considering cost and other such factors
- Whether Nepal’s closeness to China , should be a matter of worry for India
- Future of India Nepal bilateral relations
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give details and background into the transit treaty signed between China and Nepal.
- Give details of the transit agreement signed between China and Nepal
- Discuss the pros and cons of this agreement for Nepal, the article provides a detailed description of the same
- Examine whether and how the treaty would impact Nepal’s relations with India vis a vis india
- Discuss how should India respond to this development and the way forward for India
Conclusion – Emphasize on the importance of maintaining parity with china in south Asia considering China’s explicit strategy of boxing India in south Asia and suggest way forward for India.