Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “Rainfall pattern”
1) Explain the distribution pattern of rainfall in India and factors affecting that distribution?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the distribution pattern of rainfall in India – the areas where rainfall is scanty and the areas where it is in abundance. We also need to explain the factors that are responsible for such variations in rainfall patterns.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that India falls in the monsoon climatic region. Rainfall is the backbone of Indian agriculture and economic activities and thus rainfall pattern is important
- Mention that Rainfall in India mainly occurs in the months of July, August and September. The Indian rains are chiefly orographic in nature. As a result, the regions situated on the windward side receive greater rainfall than the regions located on the leeward side.Only a scant amount of rainfall is received from cyclones and convectional rainfall.
- Discuss the areas which receive hefty, moderate, low and scanty rainfall
- Explain the factors which control rainfall distribution in India – SW monsoon vs NE monsoon and factors such as
- Direction of moisture laden winds
- Pressure conditions
- Cyclonic depression determined by pressure gradient
- Direction of relief features