Topic– India and its bilateral relations.
4) India’s relations with Maldives has got a lifeline as a result of the recent elections in Maldives. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the political developments in Maldives over the course of last year and the implications that the results have for India. India’s relations with Maldives had taken a dip due to China factor and the decision of the previous Government under President Yameen. This question would help you prepare the evolution of India’s relationship with Maldives over the course of past year and the future prospects of the relationship.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the following
- Reasons why India’s relationship with Maldives took a dip
- The current election in Maldives which has provided a sliver of opportunity for India to reset it’s ties with Maldives
- The implications of the recent election results for India
- Way forward for India Maldives relationship
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – We need to give an overview of India Maldives relationship by bringing out the macro picture. Also mention that the recent election results have led to hopes of a reset.
- mention in brief the reason why India Maldives relationship has taken a hit off late – explain president Yameen’s decision to side with China by shiting from an India first policy to China first policy, his unilateral action undermining judiciary and democracy in Maldives etc
- Highlight the hit that Maldives relationship with India took as a result of these actions.
- Discuss the implications of the recent Victoria of opposition in elections in Maldives. Here we need to highlight the strategic significance of Maldives, how important it is as a country for India to remain in control of Indian Ocean region, also that China has been steadily putting into action its strategy of boxing India in south Asia, and India needs good relations with its neighbours
Conclusion – Give your view on how significant the recent election would be for the future of India Maldives relationship and discuss how India should go ahead on building this relationship.