Topic – Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
3) The National Sex offenders list would enable India to tackle the problem of women safety in a much more effective way. Analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
India on Thursday joined eight other countries that maintain a registry of sex offenders. The article explains what the list is, how the list is likely to help, the issues that need to be paid attention to. Since crimes against women are such a huge issue in India, the preparation of the national sex offenders list and it’s likely impact needs to be examined in detail.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points
- What is a national sex offenders list
- Comparison vis a vis other countries
- The advantages that will accrue out of having a list of this kind
- The challenges that needs to be kept in mind
- Way forward
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that India recently joined a list of eight other countries that maintain a national sex offenders list.
- Explain what a national sex offenders list and the features of that list
- Compare India’s list with that of other countries – In the United States, the sex offender registry is available to the public, whereas in India, and countries such as the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and Trinidad & Tobago, the registry is available only to law enforcement agencies.
- Discuss how having such a list would be beneficial for India – The opening of the registry is timely because crimes such as rape, voyeurism, stalking and aggravated sexual assault are on the rise. The latest National Crime Records Bureau data shows there has been a 12% rise in rapes between 2015 and 2016, and that the majority of offenders are known to the victim. In a situation like this, the sex offenders’ list can definitely help the investigation and monitoring process as well as work as a deterrent.
- Examine the challenges that lie ahead – classification of offenders, challenges with respect to privacy etc
Conclusion – Give your view on how effective the list will be in tackling crimes against women.