Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “Deserts”
1) Compare and contrast Ladakh desert with Thar desert? Also, explain the drainage pattern in Thar desert?(250 words)
NCERT Physical Geography India Pg 17
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the similarities and differences in Ladakh and that desert. Next , we need to bring out the type of drainage pattern in thar desert.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that Ladakh and that deserts are respectively the cold and hot deserts of India.
- Explain the similarities and differences between Ladakh and Thar desert –
- Ladakh is situated at a very high altitude of about 6000 mts high on average thus it is extremely cold while thar desert is a low lying desert
- Thar desert , also called Great Indian desert is mostly covered with sand dunes with occasional oasis while ladakh desert is mostly permafrost.
- Both thar desert and ladakh desert experience very scanty rainfall of about 10 cms , owing mostly because of their geographical presence.
- Thar desert has the highest diurnal range of temperature in India
- Explain that most of the rivers in Thar are ephemeral and form endorheic basins.