Topic – Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
2) With two out of five children in the country stunted, India needs to direct focus on this problem. Discuss how POSHAN attempts to tackle the problem malnutrition in India? (250 words)
Why this question
The article directs focus towards the problem of malnutrition in the country and explains the initiatives taken by the current government in dealing with the challenge of malnutrition. The initiatives of the government designed to address the problem of malnutrition needs to be prepared in detail.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points
- Examine the problem of malnutrition in India
- Explain how POSHAN attempts to deal with the problem of malnutrition
- Discuss the opportunities and threats in POSHAN
- Give your view on what should be the way forward
Discuss – Here in your discussion , you need to bring out the details of POSHAN and how it would help deal with the problem of malnutrition.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the problem of malnutrition in the country with facts and figures. Explain that the government has indicated that it is willing to address this challenge on a mission mode.
- Explain that The Union Government has signed $200 million loan agreement with World Bank for National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan) for 315 districts across India. The loan proceeds will be used for reducing stunting in children 0-6 years of age from 38.4% to 25% by 2022 under POSHAN Abhiyaan
- Discuss the working of POSHAN
- aims to ensure holistic development and adequate nutrition for pregnant women, mothers and children
- targets to reduce level of under-nutrition and other related problems by ensuring convergence of various nutrition related schemes
- targets stunting, under-nutrition, anaemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and low birth rate. It will monitor and review implementation of all such schemes and utilize existing structural arrangements of line ministries wherever available
- Mention about the National council on India’s nutritional challenge which is meant to design a policy response to these issues
- Highlight the reasons why problem of malnutrition persists in India – underweight mothers, prevalence of Anaemia, socio economic factors etc.
- Discuss how POSHAN can help deal with this challenge
Conclusion – Emphasize on the need to address the malnutrition problem of India and highlight the importance of POSHAN for the same.