Topic– Inclusive Growth and issues related to it
4) The progress on sustainable development goal impacting child malnutrition has been tardy across the world including India. Examine and suggest how to tackle this problem?(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the immense challenge posed by the issue of malnutrition, examines the problem or malnutrition in India and gives suggestions based on best examples on how India can tackle this problem. Hence this article is important both from GS2 and GS3 perspective.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the progress on achieving the SDG targets related to malnutrition, of world in general and India in particular. Thereafter, we need to bring out the nature of malnutrition in India and the reasons for the same. The impact of the aforesaid problem needs to be discussed. Finally, we need to give suggestions as to how the status quo can be improved.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what SDGs were related to malnutrition and the figures on the implementation of targets for India and the world to set up the rest of your answer
- Explain the nature of malnutrition in India – India now faces a peculiar malnutrition problem—as per the latest World Hunger Index, while the prevalence of obesity amongst children under five years of age has increased drastically, the country also has the highest number of school-age children who suffer from extreme thinness.
- Discuss the reasons for both types of malnutrition – socio economic reasons, lack of proper sanitation, unwholesome diets and unhealthy dietary preferences due to cultural reasons etc
- Highlight the impact of unabated malnourishment among the young population – the social and the economic impacts
- Give suggestions as to how to improve the suggestion – focussing on MDMS, Anganwadi centres, taking cues from the policies followed by developed countries like Japan etc
Conclusion – Emphasize on the magnitude of the problem and the way forward.