Topic– India and its bilateral relations
4) Belt and Road initiative provide a major point of disagreement with China and a significant factor driving India and US relations forward. Analyze. (250 words)
Why this question
The article explains BRI in detail and highlights the impact of BRI on India’s relations with China and USA. BRI has been a major foreign policy initiatives of China and India has taken a stand at odds with Chinese strategy. Other nations including the European ones have now started realizing the issues with BRI. In this context, it becomes important to discuss the impact of BRI on India’s major bilateral relations.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain what BRI is and its current status. Thereafter, we need to explain the impact of BRI on India’s relationship with USA and China and discuss what the way forward for India should be.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what BRI is and the current status.
- Discuss India’s stand with respect to BRI
- Highlight India’s issues with BRI
- Discuss the impact of BRI on India and China’s relation in light of BRI becoming the major foreign policy priority of China. Highlight the geopolitical flux in Asia and the impact BRI will have on power equations in Asia. Discuss how BRI is now being seen as a part of China’s debt diplomacy, which India had highlighted in its objections to BRI
- Discuss how India and USA are cooperating to ensure that their interests are not compromised by BRI – highlight their partnership through synergy between India’s act East policy and USA’s FOIP strategy, support provided by USIDFC to countries in the region to counter China’s debt diplomacy etc.
Conclusion – Give your view on what India’s stand on BRI should be and how India should go about its relation with china and USA.