Topic– mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
1) Examine whether shoddy implementation of standards make children’s homes in India dens of exploitation and abuse?(250 words)
Why this question
Several reports have come to light where children have been subject to exploitation in shelter homes. This raises questions over the measures and laws in place for protecting children from being subjected to such crimes. The matter has gained prominence and thus the laws, bodies and mechanisms to protect our children needs closer examination.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first highlight the incidents which has led to this topic being in news. Next, we need to examine why is it that despite several mechanisms, laws and bodies in place, the system failed to check such crime. Thereafter, we need to highlight the steps that needs to be taken to ensure that such actions of child abuse are not repeated in future.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – highlight the recent incidents of child abuse in shelter homes which has led to this issue being in news.
- Discuss the constitutional provisions related to protection of children, laws such as POCSO, scheme such as ICPS, bodies such as NCPCR which are responsible for protection of children from child abuse
- Highlight the report of NCPCR that just 54 of a total of 2,874 child-shelters responsible for housing children who are either in the need of care and protection or in conflict with the law—in segregated quarters—could be given positive reviews
- Bring out the other lacunae in the status of child protection homes – overcrowded facilities, no segregation of children based on offence or age etc that leads to such cases of child abuse
- Bring out the need therefore to bridge the infrastructure lag, but also to ensure that reformation and protection agenda is implemented, and not paid just lip service. Discuss the need for educating children and other measures that can be undertaken to protect children
Conclusion – emphasize on the need to protect children by bringing in reforms and discuss way forward.