Topic– Part of static series under the heading -”Jet Streams”
6) Explain Madden Julian oscillation? How do jet streams impact monsoons in India?(250 words)
NCERT Class XI – India : Physical environment Chapter 3
Key demand of the question
The first part of the question expects us to explain what Madden Julian oscillations are. In the second part, we need to examine how jet streams impact the onset, departure and nature of Indian monsoons. Discuss the impact of Subtropical jet stream and Easterly Jet Stream.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what jet streams are.
- Explain what Madden Julian oscillations are. Draw diagram as well.
- Explain what subtropical westerly jet stream are and how is it related to the onset of monsoon in India
- Explain what tropical easterly jet is. Mention that the formation of TEJ results in the reversal of upper air circulation patterns and leads to the quick onset of monsoons
- Explain the role of Somali jet and what Somali jet in particular and temporary jet streams in general are