Topic– Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships.
6) Buddhism goes on to develop its own ethical virtue by observing the self-discipline of keeping certain moral precepts. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- This is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. We also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the moral/ethical precepts of Buddhism and discuss their meaning. We have to bring out how these self-disciplining moral precepts aim to create ethical virtues of Buddhism.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- write a few lines about the Buddhist ethics e.g Buddhist values are rooted in the project of overcoming greed/attachment, hatred and delusion, which are seen as the roots of unwholesome actions and the key causes of suffering. The 5 moral precepts propagated by Buddhism aim to counter greed/ attachment, hatred and delusion.
Discuss the 5 lay moral precepts developed by Buddhism-
- to abstain from onslaught on breathing beings- to counter hatred.
- to abstain from taking what is not given- to counter greed.
- to abstain from misconduct concerning sense-pleasures- to overcome attachment and delusion.
- to abstain from false speech- to counter greed and hatred.
- to abstain from alcoholic drink or drugs that are an opportunity for heedlessness- to counter delusion.
Mention that; Emphasis is sometimes laid on the need for a ‘middle way’ in keeping the precepts, avoiding the extremes of laxity and rigid adherence. Buddhism emphasizes a future-directed morality in which one always seeks to do better in the future, taking the precepts as ideals that one is seeking to live up to in an increasingly complete way. While each precept is expressed in negative wording, as an abstention, one who keeps them increasingly comes to express positive virtues as the roots of unwholesome action are weakened.
Conclusion- Based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.