Topic– India and its bilateral relations
3) A hasty normalization of the Taliban into Afghan polity could leave New Delhi as a spectator in the great game in Afghanistan. Critically analyze. (250 words)
Why this question
Afghanistan has huge significance for Indian foreign policy as well as domestic security. Trump administration has been making several knee-jerk changes in their foreign policy which has implications for India in the Afghan great game. This article analyzes these aspects in great detail.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to analyze the causes why Taliban is being reintegrated into the peace process in Afghanistan, the role various actors are playing in Afghanistan with special emphasis on India’s role and goals. Finally we need to discuss the impact on India of the recent developments and how we should go about handling it.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. You need to conclude with a fair judgement, after analyzing the nature of each component part and interrelationship between them.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the current status of India’s relation with Afghanistan and the significance of Afghanistan for India’s foreign policy and domestic security.
- Give a brief explanation of the significance of Taliban in Afghan polity and how they are being included in the peace process – first by USA, next in the Heart of Asia conference, and again based on feelers received from Trump’s policy.
- Explain the role played by various actors in Afghanistan like NATO, USA, china, Russia and particularly India.
- Discuss whether it would be in India’s interest to take part in negotiation process with Taliban , or India should continue with its current policy of distinction between good and bad terrorists
- Discuss the impact on India if it is left out of the peace process in Afghanistan
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced view on how should India’s Afghan policy be.