Topic– Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
5) Dispute resolution is one of the key functions of WTO. Describe the mechanism of dispute resolution at WTO and examine the issues involved?(250 words)
Why this question
As global consensus over rules based multilateral trading comes under stress, WTO often comes into news. Dispute resolution process at WTO has directly impacted India on several occasions and thus it is important to learn more about this mechanism, and understand the issues involved, as discussed in the article.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain in detail the mechanism of dispute resolution at WTO and discuss the issues in the process . We are also expected to suggest measures how the process can be improved to everyone’s liking.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief history of trade dispute resolution which started with the conceptualization of ITO. Explain the nature of dispute resolution at WTO.
- Off late India has been involved in several dispute resolution process at WTO such as the case of export subsidies, solar panels etc. Highlight that the process of dispute resolution bears a huge impact on trade as well as domestic economy.
- Explain the process of dispute resolution at WTO
- Discuss the issues that are plaguing dispute resolution process – politicisation of the process, non appointment of appellate body members, dealing with complex issues which require expertise which is missing due to the immense stress that appellate body functions under etc
- Discuss some of the reform measures which can help in streamlining the process – revision in voting rights to ensure greater share of developing countries in decision making, consensus building by supporters of multilateral trade like EU, China, India etc
Conclusion – Emphasize on the necessity of having a smooth and fair dispute resolution process and how we can achieve the same.