Topic– Part of series of Case studies on Ethics.
7) You are a jurist deciding an ethical case involving allegations that, Mrs. Sandy Tyson had helped her husband obtain a University fellowship to which he was not entitled. She is a former employee of the University. Mrs. Tyson is an African-American black lady married to Mike Tyson and both have denied the allegations and termed them as racist and baseless.
- What are the ethical issues involved here.
- What will be your decision.(250 words)
Key demand of the question.
Same as mentioned in syllabus- This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society.
Questions may utilise the case study approach to determine these aspects.
Structure of the answer
- The question involves both legal as well as ethical issues. The legal aspect will be determined by the level of involvement of Mrs Sandy Tyson- how she managed to influence the award. She may have thereby violated any law,statute , code of conduct which would necessitate legal action against her. The ethical aspect involved is that of the conflict of interest and also misuse of the office.
- After discussing the issues in detail, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the issue. Be considerate to all the the key facts of the case and form an opinion accordingly.