Topic – Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
4) The B.N. Srikrishna committee draft data protection bill gets some things right but fails to impose credible checks and balances on the state. Discuss. (250 words)
Why this question
The long awaited BN Srikrishna committee report and the draft data protection Bill have brought into focus the debates surrounding privacy and data protection over the internet. The committee has made several recommendation with wider ramifications which needs to be discussed in detail.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the findings, observations and recommendations of the committee and the provisions of the Bill. Thereafter the rationale and impact of those provisions are to be discussed including the good and the not so good. The responsibility and accountability of state with respect to data regulations is to be examined in detail. Finally, based on the arguments made above we need of discuss the way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the purpose of the committee and paint a picture of status quo with respect to data privacy as observed by BN Srikrishna committee.
- Explain the findings and recommendations of the committee along with the rationale and key provisions of the draft Bill
- Discuss the observations of the committee that the state, when it comes to data regulations, remains largely unregulated, also the transformative impact of data economy including its repercussions
- Highlight how the Bill seeks to protect individuals, businesses and state and the focus on user consent.
- Discuss how the Bill fails to check the unfettered powers of state when it comes to imperatives of security. Also compare the suggestions with EU data protection regulations.
Conclusion – Give your view on the suggestions and Bill and discuss the way forward.