Topic– Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
2) Over the years, in many important debates,NCW has been accused of playing the role of a foot-soldier of frivolousness. Critically examine the functioning of NCW and whether they have helped in making India a safer place for women? (250 words)
Why this question
NCW has come in the news for making the suggestion to ban church confessions. The role of NCW in improving the status of women in India has often come under question and several criticisms have been levelled against the functioning of NCW. This question is related to the overall functioning of NCW and whether their interventions are bearing fruit for the women in India.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to examine the role of NCW, their function and their mandate, and whether their suggestions have made any sizeable impact on the safety and status of women in India. We need to provide suggestions as well required for more effective functioning of NCW.
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention the recent suggestion of NCW where instead of addressing the problem of sexual crimes in big institutions including religious institutions , the blanket suggestion is to ban confessions and the debate it raises over the effectiveness of NCW.
- Give details about NCW and the mandate it has
- Examine the working of NCW, the suggestions that it has given and the impact those suggestions have had on safety of women.
- Mention success stories of NCW – took up women related issues and was proactive in Parivarik Mahila Lok Adalats, Reviewed laws such as Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961, PNDT Act 1994, Indian Penal Code 1860 and the National Commission for Women Act, 1990 to make them more stringent and effective.
- Highlight why NCW has been called the foot Soldier of frivolousness – stray comments made on rape etc. Mention that NCW’s contribution in capacity building, coming out with progressive legislations empowering women etc has been found wanting.
- Discuss the reforms required in its functioning
Conclusion – Discuss the important role that NCW has to play and the way forward.