Topic: Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
4) Discuss the need for amendment to Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008 and examine how beneficial the amended Bill would be in facilitating construction and management of new airports?(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses amendments made to AERA Act which is significant in management of new airports and role of AERA, particularly in light of the Aviation Policy. Discussing the impact of this amendment is important for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points
- Details of AERA Act 2008
- Need for amendment to the Act
- The nature of amendments carried out
- Discuss the impact of the amendments
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that India has emerged as the third largest domestic aviation market in the world and Increasing passenger load demands for better regulatory structures and hence rejigging the AERA is needed.
- Explain what is AERA
- Explain the need for amendments – discuss points like increased workload, new dynamics for engaging private players in projects etc
- Discuss the provisions of the Amendment Bill
- Examine whether the proposed amendments would help in bringing the desired changes – relate it to the stated objective of increasing air traffic , construction of more airports as per the Aviation policy, how role of market has to be integrated in light of the policy objectives and thus establishing the need for amendments to AERA Act
Conclusion – Mention that in light of recent objectives, the amendments make sense and discuss potential challenges which needs to be overcome.