Topic–Part of the series of Ethics case studies.
7) Richa wants to become an intern in ABC institute of learning. She posted negative remarks on Facebook about an internship for which she had applied. The negative comments were focused on the policy for professional dress as an intern. After the director saw the comment, the student was not selected for the internship.
- Is the situation described an ethical issue?
- What could be the implications of the act done by Richa. (250 words)
Why this question
This is one of the most important problems faced by government as well as private sector employees. It is important to analyze and discuss upon the situation in order to broaden our ethical understanding.
Structure of the answer
Hint for answer–
- It appears to be both an ethical and legal issue. From a legal perspective, one would need to consider if the information was legally obtained and was it a lawful use of the information on part of the director; the ethical issue is that whether the negative comment was the reason why the individual was not selected to that internship; A lack of respect for the value of integrity and professional behaviors seems evident in this situation etc.
- If the information was publically available, the intern applicant would have very little legal protection here. The rights to free speech are not as broad and generally would not apply in this case; Postings on Facebook may have long term negative implications since once the post is made, the originator no longer has control over who views it or how it is used etc.
Take the help of these hints to from a complete answer for both the questions.