Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “Nature of Indian Federalism”
2) Cooperative Federalism is more suited to Indian Conditions than Competitive Federalism. Analyse(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us compare and contrast cooperative and competitive federalism, discuss their comparative advantages and disadvantages and conclude on the nature of federalism best suited to serve India’s needs.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the emphasis placed on cooperative and competitive federalism in recent times for securing developmental objectives.
- Explain the two terms and how they differ
- Discuss how the spirit of competitive federalism is seen in the various inter state ranking metric derived such as for ease of business, environmental pollution etc
- Discuss how the spirit of cooperation is being enhanced by sharing experiential learnings etc
- Discuss the pros and cons of one over the other – competitive federalism requires States to reform their programmes and provide goods and services that they can self-fund, disciplines the states, accelerates growth. Discuss the advantages that cooperative federalism offers.
Conclusion – Mention in the end that a balance of the two is required.