Topic – Challenges to internal security through communication networks
4) Discuss how far whatsapp or other social media platforms should be held liable for the spate of lynchings which we have witnessed in recent times? Suggest measures to deal with this menace.(250 words)
Why this question
Lynchings, role of social media in perpetration of such crimes, need for a law against lynching have been in news quite frequently. Both these articles covers these issues and are thus important.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to examine the role that WhatsApp and other social media plays in perpetration of such crimes and how far are they accountable for such crimes. We need to give arguments from both side of the debate i.e. explain why WhatsApp and other social media would be liable, and also how transferring responsibility to these applications reflects poorly on the capacity of law enforcement agencies. Thereafter, we need to provide suggestions to explain how can we deal with this menace.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the recent incidents of lynching which underline the debate that it raises.
- Give reasons for why WhatsApp and other social media should be held liable for the fake messages which have led to lynchings.
- Discuss why it would be incorrect to absolve law enforcement agencies, and lack of legal provisions to deal with such matter
- Discuss the steps taken by WhatsApp to deal with the spread of fake messages through this platform
- Give suggestions on how we can deal with this issue holistically – your suggestions should specifically explain what the role of WhatsApp, government, law enforcement agency and wider public should be
Conclusion – emphasize that this issue requires urgent attention as it has the potential to harm our social fabric. Give the way forward in nutshell.