Topic–mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
6) There is a need for amendment to Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act. How far do you agree with this view?(250 words)
Why this question
MTP is a crucial piece of legislation that seeks to prevent female foeticide and protect women from the hazards of abortion, at the same time, raises questions over the reproductive rights of women. The issue is complex and needs to be addressed.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain what MTP Act is, discuss why it was brought in, the issues being faced on account of the Act and what amendments are necessary in the Act to iron out the glitches.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain MTP Act
- Discuss why MTP Act was brought into force
- Based on your opinion, give arguments on why or why not the Act needs amendment
- Talk about the reproductive rights of women, autonomy over their own body etc. In response to the threat of female foeticide , highlight the presence of PCPNDT Act which takes care of such issues. Give illustration of cases where MTP Act created issues even in genuine cases. Discuss the need for tackling deformities which are evident only much later on.
- Discuss the court’s position on matters under this Act.
Conclusion – Give your view on whether or whether not the Act requires amendment, and if yes, the nature of amendments required.