Topic:Development of social sector services including health
1) It is said that National Health Policy takes a road less travelled and envisions a huge strategic role for the private sector. Examine how and discuss its merits?(250 words)
Why this question
The article gives an in-depth analysis of the role of private sector envisioned in NHP 2017 alongwith debating its merit, highlights challenges therein and discusses a future strategy. NHP is quite important from mains point of view and to prepare health related topics of GS2 and GS3. This article gives a good overview of NHP.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the role of private sector in healthcare envisioned by NHP, why such a shift in provisioning of healthcare is sought to be undertaken (will form part of the merits). Thereafter we need to focus on what challenges are there. Towards the end our answer should focus on discussing how synergies of private and public healthcare be tapped so as to deliver optimum results.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that despite sustained focus of successive governments in improving health outcomes, the results have not forthcoming which led to a paradigm shift in NHP 2017, with greater role expected of private sector.
- Discuss what role is envisaged of the private sector as per NHP. Discuss the concept of strategic purchasing.
- Discuss in detail why such a shift took place. You will find the reasons mentioned in the shared link under the heading “political economy of the NHP”. The reasons being increased demand of secondary and tertiary healthcare, lack of capacity of public sector to fulfill such demands in light of fiscal constraints etc
- Highlight the advantages of such a strategy if it works well
- Discuss the challenges therein – information asymmetry, lack of penetration of private healthcare in vulnerable areas etc
Conclusion – Highlight how the synergy of the two can be leveraged to achieve better health outcomes.