Topic– disaster and disaster management
5) Developing countries can ill afford to bear the financial cost of disasters, which requires accelerated implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. Analyze. (250 words)
Why this question
The article talks about the economic impact of disasters, which is exacerbated in recent years due to the increased frequency. The article relates the issue to Sendai Framework and how its implementation will help us deal with this issue. The content of the article will prove useful in preparing Disaster Management section of Paper 3.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first highlight what is meant by financial cost of disasters and why it is more of an issue for developing countries. Thereafter, we need to highlight the linkage between Sendai framework and how it will help in reducing such costs. Also highlight how India has incorporated the provisions of Sendai framework into its national strategy and the advantages it will have for India.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention about the recent discussions at the Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in Ulaanbaatar which focussed on this issue.
- Explain what do we understand by financial impact of disasters. Do not get limited to its explicit understanding of loss of property, highlight how it pushes people into poverty and other indirect linkages.
- Discuss in brief why it is a bigger challenge for developing countries
- Discuss the provisions of Sendai framework which would help us in tackling this challenge. Also explain how it might help by discussing points like it would reduce the scale of unnecessary losses and also achieve key sustainable development goals such as the eradication of poverty, the creation of resilient cities and action on climate change.
- Examine how India has incorporated this strategy and the impact it will have on us
Conclusion – Emphasize on the need for accelerated implementation to avert the losses.